Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Henry is one month old today!

WOW! Everyone said time would fly by, but I did not believe them!! Well, it definitely does. Henry has now been part of the world for 4 weeks and time has flown! We are loving our sweet boy and he is growing at a rapid rate. We have hit a few bumps in the road, but he is plugging along.
We made a trip to the pediatrician yesterday because Henry had some changes in his stool (another word for poop). For all of those non-moms out there, a breastfed baby should have yellow-seedy looking poop. Well, on Friday night his poop looked like spinach, and while I was freaking out, mom and Michelle were very cool and soothing (even though they were also worried, sorry guys)! Needless to say, we immediately called our pediatrician and he made me feel a little better saying it may be something I ate and not to worry. However, this problem continued through the weekend and first thing Monday morning I called the doctor AGAIN!
Well, the nurse seemed very concerned and we went in for a day at the doctor. We arrived at 12:15 and left at 2:15. WOW! Sweet Henry did not seem to mind. He ate, played and slept. I, on the other hand, was a nervous wreck. After the doctor came in, he took the diapers of green poop I brought into test and found traces of blood in his stool. Well, come to find out, my sweet boy has a milk protein intolerance. Meaning, the protein in my breast milk is not broken down enough for him to digest and his intestines were inflamed and bleeding a little. SCARY! So, Dr. Trey has stopped me from breastfeeding and Henry is now eating Similac for babies with protein issues.
We started him on the formula yesterday and he eats it well, but is fussy for about 15 minutes after eating, which he did not do with breast milk. SO, I put another call in to the doctor this morning and am waiting to hear back. I think it takes a few trial runs through formula to find the one that works best for babies in this circumstance.
All this to say, Henry weighed in at 9 pounds 6 ounces yesterday, so he has almost gained 2 pounds in a month. Evidently he was eating well from me to have made such wonderful weight gains.
As far as I go, I am in lots of pain from drying up my milk. I have had a few people explain how to dry up breast milk, so I am working hard on being patient. I took an 800mg Motrin today because I was hurting...and it helped a little, but according to my obgyn, it can take 2 weeks. That STINKS!!! Oh well. I would have to do it sometime anyways.
Below I have posted pictures from his one month photo shoot. One of our good friends, Meredith, gave him monogrammed shirts and we love them! Thanks Mere!





This is his favorite position...on his back kicking his feet and flailing his arms around.

Henry's very serious look!



2 comments:

Nikki M said...

He is beautiful!

Jack said...

He is "bonding" to the Nikon camera very well!!!

 

2010 Design by sweet cheeky designs