I hope that if I can keep him under one thousand hours of therapy by the time he's thirty, I will have done at least a decent job of parenting. As I stare at Henry in his basinette, hundreds of thoughts and illusions about what he is to become race through my mind. Will he be left handed or right, type-A or type-B personality, an athlete or a trumpeteer. Unanswered questions about your newborn son have a tendency to keep you without sleep worse than the highest shrill of crying he could dish out. The anticipation already tugs at me like a hundred pound weight and I've only been a father for a little over a day and a half.
So this is what fatherhood is like............so far. I'm an infant myself when I compare my experience to any other father out there. I love it. Henry has sucked me up like a vacuum and spit me out like boiled over noodles. I couldn't be in love with anything more perfect other than my wife. Could it really be that something, someone as screwed up and imperfect as myself could have helped to produce an actual person more flawless than the most precious diamond? I'm floored. My knees feel weaker than the first time I tried to kiss my wife. Can it get much better than this? I'm actually enjoying changing his diapers, and can't help but laugh aloud as I realize how absurd I sound.
I'm still staring at Henry quietly laying in his basinette. My masterpiece. My boy. This is a Father's proudest moment. He could build me up a million times, and I'm sure he will shred me to my knees just as much. I welcome every day of it. I've never backed away from a challenge and I feel like this will be the biggest of all my life. With open arms I will rush head first into the gauntlet of parenthood.
Do I sound excited? It's real and it's better than any rush you could imagine. I told Alle I would put something on here. I hope that everyone who reads this gets saturated in my honesty and understands how genuine it is. Thanks for sharing in this incredible experience with my wife and I. We are truly blessed to have friends that love us and support us the ways they have in the last couple of days.
Dad
Wednesday, April 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








8 comments:
Ok, that might be the sweetest, best "Dad moment" I have ever been privy to. Beau, I am so excited for all three of you and Henry is truly a lucky little man. Welcome to parenthood....you're going to be GREAT (you already are)!!
Our love to the Kaneft family,
Laura
Beau, that was beautiful. And, as I said a million times yesterday to you and the rest of your family, I feel truly blessed and priviliged to have been able to be there and experience all of that with the Kanefts and Noes. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for allowing me to be there with you and Alle and Henry. I look so forward to many more memories.
Beau, that was fabulous! You are just starting on the most wonderful (and exausting) journey of your life! Enjoy every minute, because it will go by so fast! All my love to you, Alle, and, of course, Henry
Love, Sarah
okay, I just bawled (is that a word) like a baby. Beau, that was so sweet. Seeing you two today, in that room together, just the two of you with your first born, a son. Wow, brought back so many memories. I know I was just there 6 months ago but there is nothing, NOTHING the moment your become a mother (or father, in your case). Henry is blessed, but so are y'all!!! It will fore sure be the hardest thing you have ever done, but the most rewarding, without a doubt.
Beau,
Are you studying poetry? Congratulations to you guys and if you don't buy him a Trumpet he can't become a trumpeteer.
Jeff
Beau,
What an amazing post! So proud of you to share such intimate thoughts with us. Becoming a parent is the most unbelievable miracle in the world and I am so happy you and Alle have gotten to experience it. Henry is blessed to have you as parents!! You will be a wonderful father!! Can't wait to see you guys in a few hours!!
Mandy
that is the sweetest thing i have ever read! i had tears in my eyes remembering what it was like when our first was born. you're in for the journey of a lifetime, and henry is very blessed and fortunate to have you two as parents!!
You got me crying too, Beau! Congrats again to you and Alle! Anthony and I are just so excited for y'all!!
Best wishes,
Wendy & Anthony
Post a Comment